SPRING WILDFLOWER TRAINS
A warm winter has wine lovers and wildflower watchers looking forward to spring. Tickets are now on sale for our annual Scenic Limited and Vintage Comet trains. Powered completely by clean electricity, both historic trains return this coming April.
The Scenic Limited is an hour-long ride for all ages that highlights the natural wildflowers that dot the hillsides. Passengers admire panoramic views populated with native wildflowers such as poppies, goldfields, and lupine. The Scenic Limited runs on Wednesdays, Saturday, and Sundays in April at 11am, 12:30pm, and 2pm. A limited number of first-class seats can be reserved in the Parlor-Observation car, which include cookies and lemonade.
The Vintage Comet also includes wildflower viewing, but features four award-winning wines from the Suisun Valley Wine-Co Op. Suisun Valley is the second oldest AVA in California (Napa is the first), and is the next major valley east of Napa. Best known for Petite Sirah, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon, Sunset Magazine described Suisun Valley as “undiscovered and unpretentious, much as Napa was in the 1960s. Cool afternoon breezes from San Francisco Bay bring down high daytime temperatures – a good thing for grapes.” The 90-minute trip departs each Saturday in April at 4pm and is geared towards adults, although juice is available for younger patrons.
Both trains are pulled by Sacramento Northern interurban #1005. A true California native, it was built in 1912 in San Francisco, lovingly restored to its past glory by Museum volunteers, and spent its working life on the same rail line the Museum now owns and preserves: the Sacramento Northern. In 2012, the rail line and the Museum itself were added to the prestigious National Register of Historic Places for the unique history that is preserved and interpreted.
Tickets to either train include Museum admission; the Rail Car Display House; the new interactive Traction Lab energy and transportation exhibit; access to the Laflin Park Picnic Grounds; and parking.
Details at a Glance:
- Departs each Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday April 1 – April 29 at 11:00am, 12:30pm and 2:00pm.
- Coach tickets are $11 for adults, $10 for seniors 65 years and older, and $8 for children 2-14.
- First Class service is $6 extra and includes cookies and lemonade served by uniformed staff.
- Advanced reservations for first-class accepted at http://bpt.me/1148538 or 800-838-3006.
- Coach tickets are all first-come, first-served.
- Departs each Saturday April 4 – April 25 at 4:00pm.
- All tickets are $28/person, and include a souvenir wine glass.
- Passengers sample 4 wines from the Suisun Valley Wine Co-Op.
- A portion of each ticket benefits the Solano Midnight Sun Foundation, which provides temporary financial assistance to women with breast cancer.
- Advanced reservations accepted at http://bpt.me/1148522 or 800-838-3006.